Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > The Suicide Collectors

The Suicide Collectors by David Oppegaard

Apr 17, 10

bookshelves: what-sf, why-book-club
Read in April, 2009

There are some good things about this book and some really irritating things. I’ll start with the good because David Oppegaard is on Goodreads and will undoubtedly read this review. I think it’s well written, it flows well and it kept me interested. I wanted to know what happened next. The characters were believable and fairly fleshed out. Although post-apocalyptic novels are common and most involve journeys, I felt he handled it well. The premise is different and thought-provoking. I really appreciate that he was respectful of the problem of suicide, not judgmental. I am interested in reading more by this author.
That said, I have a number of problems with the book. First of all Seattle isn’t on the ocean!! It's on Puget Sound, which is salt water, but it's no more the ocean than Hudson Bay is. I thought the ending was weak, I wanted more. I don’t feel I got enough information. There were also lots of inconsistencies that irritated me.
The book did make me think, though. I found myself pausing and staring into space imagining what I would do in Norman’s situation, and that’s what books are supposed to do. So overall, I think it was a decent first novel.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suicide Collectors.

Brad Hahaha! Puget Sound, not the ocean. I was thinking the same thing.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I know it's silly but it really bugged me! :P

Brad I don't think it's silly at all. Those are exactly the sorts of things that get under my skin all the time, whether it's in a movie, a tv show or a book.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Hyder Exactly...and I was thinking there could be a Suicide Collectors II because of the ending. I'd read it.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I'd read it, too.