Erik Graff's Reviews > The Passions of the Mind: A Novel of Sigmund Freud

bookshelves: literature
Recommended to Erik by: Kara Lindstrom
Recommended for: Stone/Freud fans
Read in August, 1972 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Facing prosecution for draft resistance, I dropped out of college for a year. During this time I had a number of uninteresting jobs, but found plenty of time outside of work to study, renew old friendships and get involved in community politics.

The biggest political accomplishment of the year was the creation of what we called the Park Ridge Community and Youth Coalitions which led, ultimately, to some legislation creating both youth and senior citizen centers in the city. More important, however, was the process and the involvement of thousands in our activities and hundreds in the creation of them.

Of all the persons who got involved, the most impressive was Kara, a high school senior at my old school. She was articulate, aggressive, well-read and had one of the most interesting families I've ever become close to. Fortuitously, her dad owned a print shop and pressed our community newspaper, News & Views, without charge. Kara also had the longest, thickest blonde hair I'd ever seen. Being a sucker for the hair thing, respect soon turned to desire. The age difference, however, led to restraint and restraint, naturally, increased the passion. It was great, like knowing and working with Elizabeth Gurley Flynn.

It was, I believe, on my twenty-first birthday, soon after the death of my childhood dog, Jimmy Olsen, that Kara presented me with Passions of the Mind, in hardcover, as a gift while we were standing in Hodges Park near the railway crossing in downtown Park Ridge. I was touched. Receiving any recognition from a friend, not a relative, on one's birthday was pretty much a new experience. The book itself wasn't one of Stone's best, but the thought behind it was good. I'd been studying continental depth psychology pretty seriously for months.

Kara, now a novelist and film director, was my first serious girlfriend. Unfortunately, she now splits her time between L.A. and Paris, so it's been years since we've seen one another. The memories, however, remain quite fond and precious.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passions of the Mind.