Rebecca's Reviews > A Gown of Spanish Lace

A Gown of Spanish Lace by Natasha Sperling

Apr 01, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in December, 2004

Sixteen-year-old Ariana Benson loves her new job as the schoolteacher in her small frontier town. But her whole life changes one snowy day when she is kidnapped by two outlaws and taken back to their hidden camp, where she is held as a prisoner. Her guard is Laramie, the son of the outlaws' leader. But Laramie is not like the other outlaws. He finds himself struggling with his duties as Ariana's guard, and knows in his heart it is not right to hold an innocent young woman prisoner. And Ariana finds herself strangely trusting him. Laramie comes up with a daring plan to help her escape, even though it means separating himself from his father forever. But will the plan work?

This was a decent historical western adventure, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other book I read by this author. This was mainly due to the ending of the book. Toward the end of the book, the author threw in a plot device that seemed to be there in order to place one more obstacle in the path of the characters so that the book would be a bit longer. I still enjoyed this book overall, I just wish the ending had been less contrived. I would recommend this book to fans of the author, but new readers looking to try a Janette Oke book would be better off reading a different one instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gown of Spanish Lace.