Chelsea's Reviews > Princess Mia

Princess Mia by Meg Cabot

Aug 25, 07

bookshelves: advance, youngadult, royalty, contemporaryfiction, 2007, own
Read in August, 2007

** spoiler alert ** The Usual: Grandmere is crazy! Mia is oblivious to the people around her! Everyone else is telling Mia things she should have been able to figure out herself! Throw downs in the lunch room! Mia freaks out! Mia blindsides someone she cares about! In a public way! Secret guy communication! Mia can only count on Fat Louie! Unrealistic email systems, often confused with instant messaging! Lilly makes odd dating choices! Tina squees! Corn! Chili! Chili without corn!

The Unusual: A glaring lack of Moscovitzs! Two distinct styles of Mia freakouts! Therapy (finally)! Ancient manuscripts! Bra shopping with Lana?

The Verdict: It certainly felt like the penultimate in a series, which is both good and bad. I'm dying for the final one now (of course), because it will be interesting to see how she finally brings it all together. And whether she does a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows style epilogue. WITH MARRIAGE AND BABIES! (Not that I am occasionally a Tina-esque fangirl when it comes to this series. Not at all.)

When I go too long between PD readings, I forget just how big a teenager Mia is. In the sense that sometimes I want to shake her, and point out that as impressive as public declarations of ... ahem... can be, other people matter, as do their opinions. Nothing like grabbing those reins and... right. Horse metaphor. Nothing like taking hundreds of years of history and upending them in a fit of pique.

But the worst part is that I think it's supposed to be an empowering move, not a childish one. Oh, Meg.

I also forget how much I like Lars. I would read that spin off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess Mia.