Arminzerella's Reviews > Okko: The Cycle of Water

Okko by Hub

Apr 01, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novel, adult-fiction, sex, violence, mystery, japan, journey-quest, ronin, borrowed-from-the-library
Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Okko is a ronin in the land of Pajan (similar to feudal Japan). His companions are Noburo (a masked man or demon or creature), and a drunken monk. Together they fight demons. Noburo is attacked at a geisha house while he is being entertained by the lovely Little Carp. Pirates carry her and the other geisha off across the sea, and Little Carp’s brother, Tikku, convinces Okko and company to help him rescue his sister. They have to consult the water spirits in order to track the pirates, and when they do discover their whereabouts, things are not as they seem. Little Carp has been murdered by Pennagolans – demonic spirits who are masquerading as the lord and lady of a high-ranking Pajan family. The lady of the house has taken her body, and she and her husband are using it to produce an heir (Little Carp is already pregnant at the time). The samurai and his companions defeat them and Tikku joins them for training, service, and further adventures (to be continued in the Cycle of Earth).

This full color graphic novel is beautifully illustrated – stylistically it’s very Asian (appropriate considering the setting). I wish some of the panels had been larger as it was occasionally difficult to make out what was going on action-wise. Good story, very engaging, with plenty of surprises and gory beheadings. I’m not as well-versed in Japanese mythology as I’d like to be, and I’m wondering if the demons mentioned in this book are part of actual Japanese mythology, analogous to something in that mythology, or created especially for this Pajan. I’d love to read what comes next. This is definitely for adults/a mature audience – there’s lots of violence and some nudity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Okko.