All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Mist

Mist by Susan Krinard

Jul 19, 13

bookshelves: reviewed-by-julia, dd-2013, earc
Read in July, 2013

MIST is urban fantasy in the most classic application of the genre, taking the intricate mythology and tropes of classic Fantasy and transporting them to the streets of San Francisco. Reminiscent of Mercedes Lackey’s Bardic Voices, but with a Nordic twist, Krinard brings frost giants and ancient godlings to life in the modern world.

While the Krinard’s premise and mythology worked really well for me, the heroine Mist was the confluence of several mechanisms that fell flat. As a Valkyrie with intimate knowledge of the history an politics of the gods, Mist had many expository conversations that poured all of that knowledge into the narration, too much and for too long to keep me interested. At the same time, the heroine is also experiencing changes in her magic, lifetime secrets are being revealed. Fated, innate magic that swoops in to save the day distanced me from the story as well, as the mechanics of these transformative events are beyond the character’s grasp (or being kept from her) and thus not interesting to unravel.

In addition to Mist’s developing magic, both the hero and lover-turned-villain points of view make it clear that there are a lot of machinations behind the scenes of which Mist remains unaware. Though the story initially paints Mist as a strong, kick butt Valkyrie, these key elements of the story repaint her as progressively more vulnerable and oblivious. The narrative took on flavors of an old school romance, complete with a damsel in over her head, a hero with a tortured past and a secret, and Loki providing the sexually depraved villain point of view. Unlike a romance, however, this urban fantasy series has a long road to go before happily-ever-after, making this particular installment fall flat for me.

Despite a strong start and original mythology, the mechanics of how Krinard’s characters unfold didn’t work for me. The cast of characters expanded before I was particularly invested in the hero and heroine, and as the narration followed Mist, Dainn and Loki, I found myself equally alienated from hero, heroine, side kicks and villain. Fans of classic fantasy will enjoy this modern take on Norse mythology, but the excellent world building wasn’t enough to keep me anchored in the story.

Sexual Content: Non explicit sex and rape scenes.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mist.

05/09/2013 marked as: received-for-review