All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Generation V

Generation V by M.L. Brennan

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

As a member of the “now what do I do with this liberal arts major” generation, like Fortitude in GENERATION V, I was curious how this sort of post-college existential crisis would play out in a book about vampires. Vampires are generally known as rather confident, sexy and definitely wealthy, and Fort was about as far from those qualities as one could be. He has a cheating girlfriend, a job in a grimy coffee shop, and about $7 to his name for 90% of the book. The result is a very relatable main character that gave me a reason to invest in GENERATION V.

Fort wasn’t the only thing keeping me reading GENERATION V, but he was a large part of it. I liked him as a character- he grew from a bit wimpy to a lot stronger, both in personality and physically. And while he had a bit of a tendency to let people take advantage of him, his singular focus in the book is saving somebody else. Most of the other characters were also well written and multi-faceted. For example, Fort’s mother Madeline seems like a conniving mastermind, but you also get the impression she really cares for Fort. That depth made her interesting and sympathetic (even though I wanted to hate her a little).

Other than Fort, Brennan’s vampires are callous and uncaring about human life. They creeped me out in that kind of psychopath serial killer way. On top of that, the vampire world building is different than any other vampires I’ve come across. For example, the vampires have to create hosts to bear children for them, and they aren’t immortal, they can die of old age. The unique mythology plus the inclusion of Fort’s kitsune bodyguard Suzume gave the book a different vibe than most urban fantasy I’ve read lately. It is easy to fall back on typical vampire traits and I felt Brennan’s new, creative take on vampires was a breath of fresh air. Creepy fresh air, but fresh nonetheless.

As the first book in the American Vampire series, GENERATION V offers a nice complete story line but leaves plenty of questions open for future books. A little of this is due to the fact that it sometimes tended to jump around a bit, but in the end, I’m left very curious where the series is going. After such a solid debut, I’m sure the second book, IRON NIGHT, will be every bit as enjoyable as the first.

Sexual Content: References to sex and rape

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Generation V.

05/13/2013 marked as: read