Angie's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Aug 25, 07

bookshelves: 2007
Read in March, 2007

Wow...just wow! I don't think I can even begin to articulate the impact this book had on me. It was the most incredible book I think I have ever read. If you've read The Diary of Anne Frank, then you have an idea of what a little Jewish girl and her family experienced during WWII. But have you ever wondered about the other side of the coin? What did little German girls experience during WWII? Were they all just good little Nazi soldiers, intent on eradicating those of the Jewish faith?

The book is narrated by Death, which was a little odd at first, but after only a couple of pages, it made perfect sense and was easy to follow along. It is the tale of one little German girl, her family, friends, enemies, and their struggles, triumphs, and deep secrets that they kept during the war. It gave me pause because I had never bothered to consider what life may have been like for the non-military Germans or what life may have been like in a country that poured all of their resources into the military. It was certainly eye-opening for me! I strongly recommend this book and would give it way more than 5 stars if possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.