Violet's Reviews > The Subtle Knife

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

1191502
Apr 01, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite-authors, sci-fi, 5-stars, steampunk, british

** spoiler alert ** Okay like I said before, this is the second time I'm reading this series. Now for my reveiw.

The first time I read it, I remember my favorite part was what Lyra thought of our world. I thought it was so funny! It still is! It's just cool to look at our everyday lifes and world from an outsider's point of veiw. It's so cool!

This is my favorite book in the series. It's a combo of the meeting between Will and Lyra, Lyra's veiw on our world, the background on Will's father, and finally Will's meeting with his father. It's awesome!!

You hear more of Will's thoughts and stuff than Lyra's. That I just noticed. In fact, there is barely any Lyra's point of veiw in this story, it's mostly Will's. Don't get me wrong, I like Will's veiw, but I would have liked to here more of Lyra's.

Will....man is he a complicated character. And there's something about complicated characters that I love. There's just so many layers to them, that you keep learning more about them. Will even more complicated then Lyra. She's a little more straight forward and goal oriented then Will. Will has goals and stuff, but he's just a little more complicated in his feelings about them. There's so many sides to him, that it's hard to label him. Yah, you can say he's a fighter, but he's also caring, brave and sad. So there are many many sides to this one character.

Oh, how sad it was for Will's dad to die just like that, right after they just relized who each other were. So sad. Poor Will! If I were him I would have cryed, but he didn't, he went on to do his father's wishes. In a way this is the classic "tough boy doing his father's dying wish," and it's also the classic "boy destine for great things." It would be cheesy if Philip Pullman hadn't wrote it so well. And I find myself saying this again! Philip Pullman is a great writer!

The story just gets more and more compliacted! When I reread the first book, I marvaled at the fact that things were so simple! Now they are just getting more and more compliacted, as the story goes on. It's really hard to relate to the first book, because it was so simple.

Lyra seemed weak in this book. I mean, her only asking the alethiometer only what Will asked her to ask! Weak! I'm sorry, but this is Lyra we are talking about. The same Lyra that defeated the Gobblers and the past bear king! She's strong and brave! Then she just becomes so weak! I guess it's because she's in a new and strange world, but still that gives her no right to be so damn weak! She seems so young and weak compared to Will. It's just not right.

Anyway that's it for now. This is my favorite out of all of them, but my thoughts could change as I read the 3rd book. Who knows?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Subtle Knife.