Nikki 's Reviews > The Last Colony

The Last Colony by John Scalzi

Apr 01, 2009

bookshelves: speculative-fiction
Read in May, 2009

The Last Colony definitely needs to be read after having read the first two books, as it's directly connected to both, uses the same world, and many of the most key characters. Like the others, it's easy to read and fun. It returns to using the same narrator as the first book, which I think is a bonus: he's fun. The plot is pretty much the culmination of things that have been building up in the other two books, which is why you need to read them. I liked the conclusion of it, and the open-endedness. Always leaves room for more, or for your own interpretation.

Being only three hundred and twenty pages long, and packed with all kinds of developments, this book goes very, very fast. One of the things I disliked about it were the quick summaries of what had happened, done in pure first person POV. I'm sure there must've been better ways to do the time jumps. Still, it kept it moving and kept it easy to read, which is part of the appeal.

Again, a good ending. Scalzi's pretty good at feel-good, ending-the-plot-but-leaving-possibilities type endings.

I do agree with reviews that suggest this is more fluffy than a lot of the SF around. It's definitely easy to read and the kind of book you read to give your brain a break -- for me, anyway. It's not a bad thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Colony.

05/05/2009 page 102
31.87% "Saw that comin'. Oh Jane."
05/05/2009 page 153
47.81% "A lot can happen in fifty pages! Wow."