Bucket's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Kingsolver and her family embark on a year of eating only local, organic foods. They eat only what they know the source of (in most cases literally know the farmer who grew/raised the food or grew it themselves). They raise chickens and turkeys, have a large variety of plants in their garden, and make cheese, yogurt, and bread. The book moves through the year, describing plants, animals, what is locally fresh at various times of the year, including a history and critique of industrial food production and many tips, techniques and recipes.

Themes: local, organic produce movement, eating as pleasure, eating in history, industrial agriculture vs. conventional/historical agriculture, family

I liked that all of the family members contributed to the book (three of the four by writing various portions). Though Lily didn't write, I loved reading about her and her chickens. This book really hit home for me and left me feeling inspired to make some of these changes in my own food world. I was a little surprised that it didn't seem like much of a change for this family (they already had raised chickens before, as well as having vast gardening, canning, and even cheese-making experience). I was expecting this to be a brand new trial-and-error sort of undertaking. In some ways, they already knew what to do and how to do it, and that's why it worked so well, but it took away the suspense for sure.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.