Kiri's Reviews > So You Want to Be a Wizard

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane

Apr 04, 09

Read in August, 2007

I first encountered these books in middle school and was completely entranced. The frame story, of wandering through a library through the “professions” section and encountering “So You Want to be a Wizard”, was too wonderful. I searched for such a book myself, to no avail.

I recently re-read this book, and like many young-adult books, it’s not quite as compelling as I remember. But as an inspirational story to open young minds to new ideas, with tones of self-reliance, responsibility, and the power of having a really good best friend, I can still whole-heartedly recommend it (and the whole series). The magic system is creative yet plausible, with a “scientific” feel (gosh, I want a temporospatial claudication!).

Nitpick to everyone who describes this as some variant on Harry Potter: please remember that this book was written well before Harry burst onto the international scene. Certainly they are in the same genre, but please give original credit where it's due.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So You Want to Be a Wizard.