Shannon's Reviews > Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World

Apr 01, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: adventure-travel-climbing, bookclub
Read in June, 2006

This is a true story about two fairly well known people taking a trip across a vast distance. The A-List actor and a well-to-do buddy (d-list actor?) have a dream and try to put it into action. Some of their challenges are ones that most people would not have - e.g. having a director who does not want you riding a motorcycle to practice for the trip in case you injure yourself before your movie is complete. Some of the other challenges they thought were unique to their "star power" were likely challenges that anyone travelling the road less travelled would have: i.e people coming out to stare, insisting on some celebration or having a political leader want to meet you. I have travelled some and am not famous for anything and I have had these experiences.

There is lots of whining and the book is not particularly well written. Having said that, these guys are not famous (or almost famous) for their writing skills. Also, they have obviously not had to endure manhy hardships throughout their lives but I wish the editor had reeled them in a bit.

One of the areas that I thought was really lacking in their writing was their insistance that the adventure really moved them, that they felt connected to teh places that they had visited and that it changed their lives. Unfortunately, they could not demonstrate this and had to rely on telling us that. I actually believe them but wish I could have read the book and felt it with them.

Not the worst book out there and if you are a motorcycle kind of person you will get a lot more out of the many pages devoted to their research and decision making (and errors)that went into motorcycle choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Way Round.

02/15/2016 marked as: read