JenMcJ's Reviews > The White Knight

The White Knight by Josh Lanyon

May 24, 12

bookshelves: e-books, mm-mmm-a-few-mmf-too

Sean is a movie star with a troubled past and a psycho stalker. Dan is an LAPD cop hired as bodyguard while they hunt the stalker down.

This story is told in flashback style as Sean regains his memory after a head injury. Alternating between the past and the present until the full story emerges. He uses the tools he has learned after years of mental health issues to tell himself his story to piece back together his memories. Some of which he has blocked - and he knows why they must be blocked. They must be painful.

As Sean works to gain his memory back, he is given the chance to gain the life he had with Dan back as well. We hear his thoughts on his own mental health issues, how he perceives his relationship with Dan and his own self worth. As thoughts lead to actions and reactions the ramifications are great but not insurmountable.

For such a troubled half of the whole, Sean is amazingly easy to relate too. I fell in love with Sean and rooted for him a little more after every word in this book. Although this could have been an overwhelmingly weighty and angsty story, the flashes of humor and moments of sweet goodness steady it to a very well paced book, both story wise and emotionally for the reader

The more intimate scenes in this book are by no means graphic. They are implied in many ways but done in a way that left me satisfied, convinced they were happy and that the sex was great but not the basis of their relationship.

I gave this 4 star because of some plot confusion relating back to the first book in the series. I didn't realize it until I finished the book but this is a sequel. While I think it intends to be a stand alone there are some vague mentions of legal problems with his Manager and Sean needing to testify against him. Since I had not read the first book, Dark Horse, I was completely lost regarding this info and actually went back and re-read areas to see if I had missed information. When I had not, I figured I would get more info as he flashed forward in his story, but it is never covered. You do need to read the first book to know what that is about. It doesn't interfere with the story, but it did throw me off my stride and pulled me out of the book when I came to it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Knight.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds just like The Dark Knight by Josh, is it the same book with a different name?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a prequel according to Josh's site. And someone needs to correct the title as it is The White Knight not Night, :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Never mind, I fixed it myself, it now reads correctly

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 01, 2009 10:26AM) (new)

Okay, cool. Should be interesting given what I know from reading the other book but I will definitely be getting it, :)

message 5: by JenMcJ (last edited Apr 01, 2009 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JenMcJ Why are there two popping up under Josh Lanyon for this title now though?

Also, I don't see one by him called Dark Knight. I see a Dark Horse title

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

My bad, it is The Dark Horse. Probably because someone searched for The White Knight and didn't find it so they added it. It happens pretty often from what I can see. Only someone with librarian status can edit or delete it

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

hmm, both were added by Daisiemae. Looks like a duplicate but it won't allow me to delete because someone marked to-read on the other one. Ah, well, :0

JenMcJ can we combine them somehow? I am new to librarian status and have not read the whole manual yet

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

According to the site only a super librarian can do that

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Shell said that she tried to correct the title, and it wouldn't let her. She was ticked off about it. She's been having tests done, so she's out of network for now.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahsley, tell her I'm thinking about her, please, :)

message 12: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack Yeah, Ash give her our best...will ya?