Rhonda's Reviews > The Quickie

The Quickie by James Patterson

Apr 01, 09

bookshelves: fiction, suspense
Read in April, 2009

Mary Stuart Masterson is a multi talented actress. She not only delivers stellar performances (and has since the age of 7) but writes and directs. Not the least of her abilities is narrating, as is evident in this tricky, tantalizing and sometimes torturous story. Experienced behind a microphone, Masterson has done other highly listenable readings, such as Cornwell's Book of the Dead and The Predator.

Her voice is so pure, distinct that one is reminded of a classically trained actress. Yet her performances, whether as the revenge bound wife we find in The Quickie or on screen in Fried Green Tomatoes, are always totally real, believable. When she describes "almost sawing through my plate" as her husband lies to her during dinner, we feel her angst and find ourselves drawn in, concerned about what she will do next.

What she does next is at the heart of this story. Lauren planned to surprise her husband, Paul, for lunch. She had checked with his assistant to make sure he would be in and then driven to his office. However, she's the surprised one when she sees him leaving the building and getting into a cab with a very attractive twenty-ish blonde. Lauren follows them to the St. Regis, where as they enter the hotel she cries to the sound of honking taxis behind her.

Later that day, when she asks him what he did for lunch and he says he had a sandwich at his desk, it's plate crunching time as she tries not to reveal what she knows. What would you do? What would any of us do?

Lauren is one tough gal and she decides what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. She plans to have a one-nighter with NYPD Scott Thayer. She didn't count on him being murdered. Fearing that her husband may have killed Scott, Lauren makes some more mistakes in covering up. However, her take on the killing may be way off base.

Leave it to Patterson to set the scene and then have listeners spellbound by the twists and turns that follow. Don't try to outguess Patterson and Ledwidge - just enjoy!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quickie.

Jennifer I agree. I loved her narrating this book, maybe I will look into more books read by Mary now.