Helena's Reviews > A Year Without Made in China: One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy

A Year Without Made in China by Sara Bongiorni

F 50x66
Apr 01, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in April, 2009

The premise of this book was interesting--the author and her family resolve to go a year without buying anything made in China, just to see if it can be done. Unfortunately, the author's telling of it isn't that riveting. I found her tone to be alternately self-congratulating and whiny, which got on my nerves, as did the constant references to how good-looking her husband is (well and good, I'm happy for her, but it's really not relevent to the topic and certainly does not need to be mentioned as often as it is).

The other thing that bugged me was that she made repeated references to how cluttered their house was with cheap Chinese toys and other assorted crap, but then as you read on you find that she's always shopping--bring home toys from the grocery store, checking the dollar bin at Target, etc. If she'd cut the shopping habit back a little, she might find that her clutter problem goes away even without a boycott of Chinese products.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Year Without Made in China.