MelissaB's Reviews > Broken Wing

Broken Wing by Judith James

1320046
Apr 24, 09

bookshelves: historical-romance, exotic-locations, 2009-reads, pirates, tortured-hero, kindle
Read in April, 2009

Broken Wing was a very good book that kept me turning the pages. The writing style is different than most romances, I felt a little more removed from the characters than normal but it did not take away from my enjoyment of the story. There was a historical fiction feel to the story but there is also a very good romance being told.

Sarah Monroe and her brother travel to France to bring home her younger brother who disappeared five years ago but was recently found in a brothel. They find him relatively unharmed thanks to the protection of Gabriel St. Croix, a very jaded male prostitute who was sold to the Madam as a young boy and has been unable to escape. Sarah insists on Gabriel being released and brought home to Cornwall with them since he saved her younger brother from great harm. Gabriel had all hope burnt out of him at a young age and doesn’t know what to do with his newfound freedom. He is afraid to believe that he is finally free to live and has no idea what to do with that freedom.

Gabriel settles into their house in Cornwall as a paid companion to the younger brother but has trouble assimilating into a normal life. He has been taught his only value is his body and what he can do with it but Sarah strives to bring out the sensitive man who was buried inside. Gabriel and Sarah have a great connection that grows as she slowly brings him out of his shell with the help of her brother and cousin. The couple fall in love over a long period of time which made it believable despite Gabriel’s horrible past. They had to deal with a lot of his emotional issues related to his treatment at the hands of others but slowly were able to overcome them.

After they fall in love there was a turning point to the story where Gabriel was separated from Sarah and had to endure even more trials. While it was hard to read about this poor guy enduring even more in his life, this part of the book was also interesting. I am not a fan of separations in my romance but the author was able to write this section well. The locations moved to Northern Africa, which is a very interesting place during the early 1800’s. The ending was good and heart-wrenching but I would have enjoyed a little more detail to the story after the couple was reunited.

Overall, this was a very good historical romance. The romance aspect was sweet and endearing, I really enjoyed Gabriel and Sarah as a couple. Sarah was a wonderful heroine, I love how she believed in Gabriel from the beginning and always fought for him. My heart broke for the pain Gabriel endured during his life but he was able to become a good man despite everything.

Read this book if you want to read a good story that tells of how love can conquer over hardship and pain. Also read this if you want a historical romance that is a bit different than most of the others – in a good way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Wing.

04/17/2009 page 1
0.23% "Starting this tonight after I finish Lover Revealed."
04/21/2009 page 1
0.23% "I really am starting this one today after taking the time to read Lover Unbound first."
04/22/2009 page 39
8.86% "Very intriguing so far, I think I am going to like this one!"
04/23/2009 page 160
36.36% "Wow this has a VERY tortured hero! I am reading the BDB right now so I am being overwhelmed by f***ed up men! Otherwise the story is good" 2 comments
04/23/2009 page 240
54.55% "There was a brief happy period now I think I have to deal with a separation - which is not my fav. The writing is very good though."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) What do you think of this one so far?

MelissaB I plan on starting this tonight after I get home but I just put it up already.

I will let you know what I think, people have really seemed to like this one so I am hoping I do too.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user I'm tempted to read this one just to see if they treat North Africa fairly...