L's Reviews > Dakota

Dakota by Martha Grimes

Apr 01, 09

bookshelves: mystery

Why have I not been reading more from Martha Grimes?!?! This book is wonderful! You've got engaging writing (thought "engaging" might not be sufficiently strong a term); animal rights issues; amnesia (not in a form that would please clinicians, I don't think, but it opens up possibilities for character & plot, so . . .); a small town in the west; solid characters, more than one of whom got under my skin and not all of whom are human; and more. Oh, yeah, there's a plot, too, with an interesting mystery. But that's almost unnecessary.

Andi Oliver could have been just a bit too precious to tolerate or the sort of female lead who bullheadedly does the "stupid" thing & must be rescued by the man (i.e. "the girl"), but Grimes avoids both of those traps. I love the relationship between Andi & Dakota, as it unfolds, as it is viewed by others, and as Andi interprets it.

The pig factory-farm is consistent with what I've learned elsewhere, though the focus here is on the pigs, not the impact on the surrounding environment. It's role in the community of people is well handled.

Ok, gotto go find another book featuring Andi! According to the dedication, this one involved a demand by an Andi fan right here in SoFla. Let this be a lesson to us all; when you love something, let your author know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dakota.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy so great to see someone else loves this author like I do-

message 2: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L I've read some of the Richard Jury novels, and they're fine. But this one was a "wow!"

All, forgot to mention in the review that some mystery is left hanging. And that's a good thing.

message 3: by Cyd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyd Read Biting the Moon by Martha Grimes if you love Andi.