Diane's Reviews > Real Food: What to Eat and Why

Real Food by Nina Planck

Jan 09, 08

Recommended for: Anyone who wants an excuse to guzzle half and half
Read in January, 2008

I teetered between shock and skepticism for the entire 275 pages of this book, and at the end of it all, I've been persuaded. I now stock my fridge with whole milk, and whole-milk yogurt, I threw out my beloved Brummel and Brown, and I bought pancetta at the grocery store yesterday - all because of Nina Planck's book. The basic premise of Real Food is that industrial foods (essentially all processed and factory-farmed foods) are what cause heart disease, diabetes, obesity, high cholesterol and the zillion other maladies that are popping off lazy Americans one fat ass at a time. Planck goes to bat for fat (hell yes! that was on purpose) and for sensible ways of farming, including grass-fed, free-range, organic, (and probably Zen) cows, pigs, chickens/eggs, fish and produce.

Planck also does right by a whole lotta disenfranchized researchers, who have apparently been doing studies for decades that show that there is no correlation between dietary fat intake ("real" fat of course - not trans fats or processed fats) and heart disease. For those of us who have heard nothing our entire lives except that saturated fat sits at the right hand of Satan, this kind of information is positively jaw-dropping. It also, incidentally, appeals to the part of me that loves conspiracy theories. "But Diane. How can the American public be so mislead about saturated fat and cholesterol?" you ask, with one eye-brow cocked. Well, cholesterol-lowering statins are the best-selling prescription drug in America ($16 billion a year in sales) and Pfizer spends $60 million each year on marketing Lipitor to the American public. Getting suspicious?

[Sidebar: And let's all hope that the $60 million Pfizer spent on marketing didn't go directly to Dr. Robert Jarvik, inventor of the artificial heart. 1. That guy looks like a fucking walking corpse - decidedly NOT someone I would put in MY Lipitor commercial, and 2. If you're in the "artificial hearts" business, don't tell me for one second that you're not hoping I have a massive coronary any day now]

Planck's Real Food falls a bit short as far as the structure goes - it seems like she wrote separate chapters and then flipped a coin to see where she should put them, which is mildly annoying. But her writing style is straightforward, and she's kind of cheeky ("No doubt, for some people, cracking open an egg is one chore too many..."). She also provides a sizeable list of real food resources, end notes, and a bibliography.

So. Hurry up and read this book so that we can talk about it over eggs and bacon and whole milk, with a side of butter, and you won't think I'm insane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Food.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen OMG - I love your review. Far more creative then I wrote up. We better get to this and do it right for at least the first 6 months because if anyone looks at our asses as we say "we are on the new fat eating diet and it's proven to work" we will get laughed out of where ever we are. . . here's to whole milk!!!

Dioscita FAB-u-LOUS review; I'm so glad you said it far better than I could have! Thanks!

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Loved your review. This book changed my whole outlook on food. And now I enjoy the fat on my steak and the skin on my chicken.

message 4: by S (new)

S great review!

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth Enjoyed your review. Killer last line. :)