Shelly 's Reviews > American Widow

American Widow by Alissa Torres

Mar 31, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic-novels
Recommended for: lover's of lifetime and hallmark movies
Read in March, 2009 , read count: once

I love David Cross' bit on "Shut Up You Fucking Baby" where he talks about the woman who works at New York, New York Casino in Vegas who was overly devastated on 9/11 because she works just down the street from the fake world trade center. "That could've been me not me!" She cried. There are a lot of people who weren't really affected by 9/11 and despite the vow of their bumper stickers to "never forget" quickly did. They also love to talk about where they were and what they were doing and how they know someone who knows someone who lived in New York/worked at the World Trade Center. Those people, for the most part, are the people I've talked about 9/11 with. I wasn't there. Yes, I remember where I was. Yes, it was insane. But I was safe and sound in dumb ol' Dallas, TX and so like most people who were nowhere near Manhattan on that day I went to work. Time did not stand still where I was.

Maybe this is why I can't get enough of hearing people who were actually there talk about their experience. Which is why I bought this book. This poor young women was newly wed, newly pregnant and on September 11th newly widowed. "Wow!" I thought. "This is gonna be good. I may even cry!" Wrong. In Torres' defense, maybe she wasn't trying to make anyone cry. Maybe her goal was to talk about how she met her husband (at a bar, how romantic!), wasn't really sure she should have even married him, got annoyed at all the attention she received as a pregnant 9/11 widow, and then bitch about how hard it was to deal with inept grief counselors and governmental agencies put in place to disperse funds to survivors and their family members. Aside from not really liking Allison, her story was all over the fucking place. To me it felt as though she had taken a bunch of notes in preparation for the book, which is more of a short story, and then not knowing how to put them all together cohesively she just decided to shit them out in no particular order.

Just so I don't sound completely heartless before this review ends, I will say that there were parts that were really insightful, and tragic, and moving. But if this book hadn't been in the form of a graphic novel and wasn't so full of kick-ass artwork, I'd never have finished it.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Widow.

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 31, 2009 07:52PM) (new)

Remember when David Cross talks about the streets being closed after 9/11, but he saw a rollerblader in a gas mask flying down the avenue? HahahahahaHAhahaHAHAHHhah! Americans are fucking crazy.

But also, Shelly, you should read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close! Do it! Go read Kim's review (but ignore Laurel's rating) and then do it. You said you wanted to read History of Love, so you should read her husband's best book, as well.

Shelly Yes! And how Tom Ridge told everyone to go to Home Depot and get electrical tape and trash bags? I wonder if that's true. Maybe someone reading this will know??...

I will check out "Extremely Loud..." The cover has intrigued me a few times, I've just never picked it up.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Great review, Shelly! I can see your point... I remember the influx of American Flags after 9/11 too. The blind grasping of what being 'patriotic' was all about. The freedom fries, etc. I'm so glad they dropped the name 'Freedom Tower.' That's pretty much like putting a bulls eye on the damn thing.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim What's this David Cross thing you guys are talking about?

message 5: by Shelly (last edited Apr 01, 2009 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Shelly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5tldE...

Edit: I can't find the audio from the part Tambo and I are referring to :( , but this audio has a funny bit about all the flags.