Adrienne's Reviews > The Book of Dead Days

The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick

Apr 02, 09

bookshelves: book-count-08
Read in December, 2008

The Book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedgwick, was an appropriate read, as it takes place during the “Dead Days” - the period between Christmas and New Years. Have you ever noticed that those days between December 25 and January 1 seem to be kind of hazy? They don’t really belong anywhere, and you’re really just treading water until the first of the new year. While I’ve kind of felt that in years past, with the wacky weather we had this year, and missing a bunch of work, I’ve really felt like the last few days have been kind of out of time, like I should be back at work, or I should be doing something productive…but I don’t really need to be, because nothing is due and work doesn’t start for awhile yet.

Anyway, Sedgwick’s book was very appropriate for this time of year, and it was an interesting read. Boy (that’s his real name) is an orphan who lives in the City with Valerian, an illusionist whose famous Fairyland Vanishing Illusion has been the talk of the City for many years and has single-handedly kept the Great Theatre in business. But Valerian, always a gruff and curmudgeonly man has become even more short-tempered and stressed. Boy is worried; something is up and the first day of the new year will bring changes that no one can forsee. While I did see some of the plot’s events coming, others were complete surprises, and the book was a real page-turner, albeit a rather macabre one. I’ll be looking for more of Sedgwick’s books to read in 2009.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Dead Days.