Sarah's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Aug 25, 07

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2007

I wanted to like this book.

I plowed through the first fifty or so pages in an airport earlier this week and prematurely told several people that it is quite good.

It is not.

While the writing is okay and the main plot line is fairly interesting:

* The author indulges in far too many unreasonably trite, cringe-worthy subplots;

* It's positively brimming with baby boomer-centric sentimental claptrap; and

* At least a half dozen scenes are completely ruined by the author's obvious naivete about the topics she attempts to address. For example, consider this scene, where the teenage son of the protagonists is rebelling against his dysfunctional family relationships by - how original - smoking pot:

In the living room, Duke was still lying with an arm over his face. [this is, mind you, after smoking one joint] Paul picked up the empty pizza box and the thin sheets of waxy paper and carried them out to the garbage can. The air was cool, the world brand new. He was thirsty like a desert, like a ten-mile run, and he carried a half gallon of milk back with him to the living room, drinking straight from the jug and then passing it to Duke. He sat down and played again, more quietly. The guitar notes fell through the air, slowly, gracefully, like winged things.

"You got any more of that stuff?" he asked.

"Yeah. But this'll cost."

Need I say more?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

Comments (showing 1-16)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 16: by Pat (new) - added it

Pat yes! thank you! ditto! this book rates zero stars!

message 15: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa The naivete comment is a good insight; I felt that way about her trying to express what it's like to be a photographer. I am one, and I knew instantly she wasn't.

Janice I am with you sister. I wanted to stick a rusty screw driver in my eye by the time it was finally over!!! There are so many fabulous books out there and I just wasted precious moments reading this one. Loved your comments...You articulated them much better than me but it was exactly what I meant. Thank you

Caitlin McCoy yeah, I wanted to like it too. I gave it an "I liked it" rating because it was interesting enough to stick with, but wow.

Markelle wish i would have read yours or any number of others reviews BEFORE I read this dull, monotonous, trite, boring book!! I saw it cheap at 1/2 price books and recognized the title and figured it must be good if I had heard of it. Wrong. I hated it from the moment I started but for some reason thought it would blossom?? Shame on me for reading the whole thing!! And for not utilizing goodreads and its great resources. Even my friends who reviewed it gave it zero stars!!

Vicki I have to agree. I could not stand Norah.

Missjocobb I thought that the book was so terrible that I could not finish it! Kudos to you all for actually reading the whole thing!

message 9: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina This is my second attempt at reading this book and I have to say I am struggling to vet through it. One of the few books I have had trouble getting through.

message 8: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I had high hopes for this book. It was on my to-read list and everything, then I read the reviews. Thanks for saving me from hours of torture to finish the book.

Courtney Vicki wrote: "I have to agree. I could not stand Norah."

I hated ALL the characters!

Ruth Innes It was such a great idea for a book but it just didn't really deliver. I kept thinking that Jodi Picoult could have done a much bette r job. Too slow for me.

message 5: by Gail (new) - rated it 1 star

Gail Fenton totally agree!

Margaret I wanted to LOVE IT. The idea of it was great. But something wasn't right about it.

Diana Adhiambo I haven't even made it past the first fifty pages and I already tossed it. Interesting storyline but the execution is just all wrong with incredibly bland characters.

Sabrina Yeah, like who in the world is going to drink a half gallon of milk (with their friend) because they're high? I mean really, MILK?? That just seems like a totally repulsive choice. One of the many things that annoyed me about this book. What got on my nerves the most was how she describes everyone as smelling like soap throughout the entire book.

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Thanks for posting part of writing to make your point across. and thank you for an honest review. Now, I know - not to read this and again thanks from preventing me from waisting my time on this.