Adrienne's Reviews > Soccer Against the Enemy: How the World's Most Popular Sport Starts and Fuels Revolutions and Keeps Dictators in Power

Soccer Against the Enemy by Simon Kuper

Apr 02, 09

bookshelves: book-count-09, non-fiction, sport
Read in March, 2009

In Football Against the Enemy, Simon Kuper writes about the effects of soccer on the politics and culture of many different countries. I was particularly interested in the chapters on Brazil (they are truly a soccer powerhouse) and on the former Soviet Bloc countries, including Russia, where the soccer stadium was the one place that people could express their discontent with the state without being taken away or killed. (Incidentally, there used to be a lot of teams in Eastern Europe that had the word “Dynamo” in their names and all of those teams were officially connected to either the army or the government. Kind of puts a new spin on “Houston Dynamo,” doesn’t it? And not a very good one, I don’t think). Kuper was easy to read and I learned a lot about the fans outside of England, which has the one league I watch regularly. (Go Arsenal!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soccer Against the Enemy.