Karen's Reviews > The Shepherd of the Hills

The Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright

Jun 07, 09

Read in June, 2009

It's books like this that make me want to have grown up in a time when all you had was your land and your joy in working it and being with those you love. Sammy (girl) is torn between going off to the city to live among those who find joy in material and superficial things (among those who have money) or to stay in the Ozark Mountains in which she was raised. While her fiance is away she is determined to be schooled and ends up learning a deeper meaning for life. This paragraph from the book pretty much sums up why I loved this book:

"He had come home expecting to meet a girl beautiful in face and form, but with the mind of a child to wonder at the things he would tell her. He had found, instead, a thoughtful young woman trained to look for and recognize truth and beauty. Sammy was always his physical superior. She was now his intellectual superior as well. the change that had come to her was not a change by environment of the things that lay upon the surface, but it was a change in the deeper things of life-in the purpose and understanding of life itself. Like many of his kind, Ollie could not distinguish between these things."

The most interesting and thought provoking story is of the Shepherd and how his life intertwined between these two worlds. And the change he brought with his arrival in the Ozark mountains.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shepherd of the Hills.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Ah, my home sweet home! Ok, I didn't grow up in the woods, but this is close to my heart and my home. I too found this book inspiring. A great choice for a book group.