Jennifer's Reviews > Lies My Teacher Told Me

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen

Mar 31, 09

Read in February, 2009

This was an EYE-OPENING look at REAL American History.

Did your teacher or college professor ever tell you that Christopher Columbus is not really the hero we all thought, and responsible for genicide of a million people in Haiti, as he "claimed" that territory for Spain? Did you know that Helen Keller was a communist and fought for a socialist America throughout her lifetime, risking charges of treason? Did you know American Indians died off in droves from diseases Europeans brought over on their explorations? Or that Jamestown was ALREADY settled by American Indians when the Smiths came over in 1620, yet conquered it and claimed THEY settled it? Other topics discussed: slavery, women's rights, American Indian rights, and past US Presidents.

Our common heroes, even some with National Holidays, are not that heroic at all - in fact, some are down right EVIL. I had no idea! Mainstream (public) education, both high school and college, does not even expose us to our own TRUE history, because THAT does not promote patriotism. I know why: the true history of America is crude, uncomfortable, evil, and full of greed.

Despite somewhat depressing context (depressing because we were lied to), this is a FANTASTIC read for those who like the TRUTH. For the true history buff, though otherwise you may be bored after a few chapters.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies My Teacher Told Me.

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Ward Thanks for the review on this book. I think Andy would love this book and now I have a new gift idea for him!

message 2: by Art (new)

Art Did you know that white people are bad and evil, and everybody else is noble and wonderful? Well now you do! Take THAT, "The Man"!