Amy's Reviews > Life Is So Good

2082678
Apr 13, 09

bookshelves: biography, uplifting-inspirational
Read in April, 2009

I'd give this book 3 1/2 stars. It is interesting... but not riveting. His overly simplistic lifestyle has brought him much happiness because he doesn't think long term or stress about anything. In fact, he lives day to day in all respects. Very few people could maintain a lifestyle where they work to merely have enough money to get by each day.

I will say that it was fascinating to hear about major points in American history from the first person perspective of a black man. He has certainly learned much of human nature. He has lived a good life just by trying to always do the right thing; certainly this characteristic is scarcely seen today.

Much of his insight is revealed in the last few chapters where he comments on parenthood, money, food and stress. I particularly liked how he said that too many parents "grow" children by giving them food, shelter and anything else they can buy them, but parents should really focus on "raising" children by teaching them right and wrong and not worry about buying them so much. (Although if you were to interview his first wife, she'd probably say that he was always at work and she raised the kids.)

I would recommend this book as an interesting autobiography on the progression of a black man's relationship with white people throughout the 1900's.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Is So Good.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt Fantastic review! Interesting but not riveting - I completely agree. I wish you could give half stars. I too was torn between three and four stars.