Rowena's Reviews > Lolita

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Apr 07, 09

bookshelves: unbelievablereads, worthy-of-re-reads

This is the dark story of Humbert Humbert and his obsession with the young "Lolita." Humbert, from an early age, exhibits unusual proclivities, namely the sexual, hungering desire for very young girls -- "nymphets." They're not necessarily very pretty or bright, but to HH, they exude an aura of come-hither disingenuity that he finds impossible to turn away from. Dolores Haze (Lolita) is such a girl and through a series of accidents, finds herself in the inescapable grasp of this desperate older man.

Nabokov, you did it again. I read a series of your delectable short stories a few months ago and thus I turned to Lolita in eager anticipation. I am not disappointed. Despite its extremely disturbing plotline, Nabokov draws you in with the seductiveness of his language. Each sentence is so rich, it's like biting into a particularly succulent apple...you know the kind. I went back and read certain sentences over and over, simply for the sheer visceral pleasure they gave me.

And because his writing was so forceful...it made the outre plotline that much more vivid and disturbing. Reading into HH's almost painful honesty made me squirm but also hunger for more...to delve into the mind of such a man who was capable of such atrocities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.