Adelina's Reviews > Shades of Earth

Jan 18, 2013

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, oh-no-she-didnt
Read from January 18 to 19, 2013

Reading the Across The Universe trilogy is sort of like dating a popular bad boy people either love or hate. You know it won't be a smooth ride and it could end in tears, but you persist anyway for that heady YOLO thrill.

I had my reservations about Shades of Earth, mostly because I've never liked Amy and Elder. What I really like about the series is Beth Revis' world-building, story concepts and immaculate execution.

For the sole reason of having - needing - to know what's on Centauri-Earth and how the frozens and shipborns deal with the alleged threat of 'monsters', I couldn't bring myself to resist this book's siren call.

Turns out it wasn't such a good idea for my blood pressure. Is it possible to hate a fictional leading lady so much you kinda wished the author would go on and kill her off already? Totally. I hated Amy for every selfish decision and 'triumphant smile' she flashed at Elder. Condescending, much?

(view spoiler)

After two books and a half, she's still a self pitying boo-hoo-I'm-so-tragic-everyone-must-revolve-around-me prick who, now that her parents are around, hopes they'll help solve her problems. THANK ZEUS she does grow up eventually, which makes the last few chapters a lot easier to swallow.

But too bad, at this point I'd rather plan her demise and never hear about her again. Then there's Amy's equally condescending, selfish, single-minded father (I see who she gets it from now) to have murderous thoughts about. Yay. And I just don't buy into the Amy-Elder relationship.

(view spoiler)

All that aside, which is nevertheless a lot to swallow, it was a blast signing up for the action-packed tour of Centauri-Earth. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Earth.

01/18/2013 "I think I'm secretly a masochist. Forging on with this, despite my intense dislike for Amy and to a lesser extent, Elder." 2 comments
11/25/2016 marked as: read