Kevin's Reviews > Bluebird and Other Tattoos

Bluebird and Other Tattoos by Luna Miguel

Jan 31, 13

bookshelves: own, literatura-nueva-española
Read in February, 2013

I've been a fan of Luna Miguel's work for a few years now, starting when I stumbled across her blog in my senior year of high school. I was craving something contemporary in Spanish, to read and digest and translate during the multiple empty hours of the school day. I still have some printed-out pages from DVDediciones' website, where I'd scrawled some hand-written translations of her poems.

So I was ecstatic to hear about Luna's publication Tenían veinte años y estaban locos, in which she is editor. I had followed the tumblr for months, and bought the book as soon as it was released.

And now, Luna's first publication to the English-speaking world: Bluebird and Other Tattoos. I really devoured these poems. The collection is broken up conveniently into time-periods, which allows the reader to follow along in the development of both Luna's voice, and also the theme which seems to be most deeply embedded in her poems: sickness. Sickness of soul and sickness of body and sickness of culture. Luna's poems have put me on a kind of hunt, so that now I see sickness everywhere. And that's what I consider to be a truly successful collection. I can only strongly recommend it.

That (quite gushingly) said, I do have some reservations about the English translations. However, I'm confident that the quality of translation in future publications will be addressed mindfully, and I would still recommend Luna's collection to those looking to read only the translations.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bluebird and Other Tattoos.

dateDown_arrow    newest »