Anne's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Mar 31, 09

bookshelves: classics
Read in January, 1994

This is my all-time favorite classic; I've read it at least twice and will probably read it again (when I have a spare minute!).
What I love about this book is the contrast between the justice of Javert and the mercy of Jean Valjean. Javert is determined to do everything right and satisfy the demands of the law. Jean Valjean finds himself on the opposite end of the law, and yet he is in a better position because he is determined to share the mercy given him to those he meets. Javert ends up committing suicide, unable to bear the burden of his own self-righteousness. Jean Valjean is welcomed to his Maker after a difficult but rewarding life. I find myself being Javert more often than not, but my aim is to be a Jean Valjean!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sheila Thoburn I find myself in the same position; but I think most Christians do and that is why we are constantly reminded in God's word that we are only righteous through Christ.

Lisa The fact of God demands the perfection of justice, but without Jesus Christ, the best we could ever achieve is the life of Javert. A life that leads ultimately to despair. Thank God for his mercy in the person of Jesus Christ. ...and thank you Victor Hugo for making this concept so clear.

Lauren Beck "When I have a spare minute" LOL!!! So true. I read this book and want to read it again sometime, too.