Oceana2602's Reviews > Taking Pictures

Taking Pictures by Anne Enright

Apr 14, 09

bookshelves: 2009, short-stories, women-writers, english
Read in April, 2009

I loved it. Definitely one of the better books I read this year.

"Taking Pictures" is a collection of short-stories. Short-stories fit very well with my interrupted and random reading schedule. These ones fit even better, because they really are short (10-15 pages), so I could actually read one or two in one session! Yay me! (you wouldn't believe how much fun a novel is NOt when you have to pause after every thrid page).

Enright is obviously a master of the short-story genre, and I admire that. I always loved short-stories, so much more difficult to say what you have to say in a few words than to write a whole novel (let's face it, most novels could easily be half their size and still contain everything important). In the years (OMG almost a decade?) I've been involved in fandom, i've grown to love short-stories even more, and so i let myself be tempted by this book when i was in a book store (something I rarely allow myself to enter).

The stories in "Taking Pictures" all deal with woman and relationships, opne way or another. It's not always obvious, in fact, sometimes the very strong narrator-POV make you feel as if you've missed something, but that's the point, isn't it?

All stories touched me, in different ways, but the one that stood out most was "The Girl that Died". So much pain between the lines, perfect for me, seeing as I find the idea of an affair wildly romantic (in theory), and am a sucker for angst.

I highly recommend this book to everyone who likes short-stories and isn't afraid of fiction that sometimes only comes to life at the second look.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Pictures.