Susana's Reviews > Moby Dick

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

Mar 30, 2009

did not like it
Read in February, 2006

Moby Dick is one of the worst, most dissapointing experiences of my life. I started it in February 2006, and was so utterly bored that didn't finish it until May... of the next year.
I felt sooo cheated!! This was the greatest classic of all time? The book everybody talks about? It even made me question myself as a reader, maybe I had misunderstood, or done something wrong? I even felt stupid. But after thinking a lot about it, I realized the book is one big freaking joke.
It starts of telling you about all this interesting misteries around the ships captain and the big white whale; which is actually pretty good. Suddenly, you start reading all this very - it's almost painful - detailed descriptions of every single part of the whale (there's actually a chapter called The Eye!!) You then find yourself going through almost 800 pages of the most boring thing ever written and then, all of a sudden, you realize you're in the last page... This one actually contains a bit of the story, but it ends so abruptly and so badly that you feel stunned and stupid.
In the end, you only read (and I'm not exagerating) like 50 pages of actual story, and the rest is biological documentation. It was deffinitely a huge let down, I wouldn't recomend it to anyone, unless you hated them and wanted to make them suffer. Even then, I doubt anyone is as masochistic as I am, I mean, most people would've given up by page 200.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby Dick.

Quotes Susana Liked

Herman Melville
“I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.”

Herman Melville
“for there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men ”
Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Herman Melville
“It is not down on any map; true places never are.”

Herman Melville
“Ignorance is the parent of fear.”

Herman Melville
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”