Tracy's Reviews > The Well of Ascension

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

May 22, 09

Read in May, 2009

The Well of Ascension is the second book in the Mistborn trilogy by science fiction and fantasy author Brandon Sanderson. Where the first book left off--the fall of the Final Empire--this book picks up the pieces as the people attempt to rebuild the city of Luthadel, which is not an easy task after being forced into submission for so long by the Lord Ruler. The transition from oppression to freedom is a difficult one when there are opposing views on how to govern the new kingdom. Corruption and political intrigue ensue, leading to conflict and war.

Meanwhile, as the people battle for control of Luthadel, a spiritual war wages on, one that involves the Deepness, the mists, and the Well of Ascension. And Vin--the main character--is at the heart of this spiritual war. The reader discovers that things are not always as they appear. There is good and evil, but it is sometimes difficult to tell which one is which. Just like some of the characters in the story, we can all be deceived, especially when there are people or forces manipulating and distorting the truth.

The characters in The Well of Ascension are intriguing, all with unique personalities and motivations. It's interesting to see how they interact with one another. The setting of the story is surreal and imaginitive, and the plot is always moving forward at just the right pace; I sometimes found myself wandering or questioning something, only for Sanderson to address that very issue in the next section or chapter.

For me, The Well of Ascension was one of those books that I couldn't wait to get back to. I connected very well with Vin, and was always anxious to see what she would do next. I'm also anxious to see what happens next in the final book of the trilogy, Hero of Ages.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Ascension.