Candice's Reviews > "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity

"Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" by Beverly Daniel Tatum

Aug 25, 07

Recommended for: everyone
Read in August, 2007

When I read "Cry the Beloved Country" years ago, a line stuck out - "I have one great fear in my heart, that one day when they are turned to loving, they will find we are turned to hating." It is such a sad reflection on race relations, but it's also a view that is justifiable in light of all the horrible things that have been said and done to people of color.

Beverly Daniel Tatum has a more optimistic view of what is possible in this country. We need to talk, but it won't be easy. Both people of color and white people have suffered in different ways from the effects of slavery and racial discrimination. I think that everyone (except for the most closed-minded bigots) will benefit from reading about racial identity and making children feel comfortable with who they are. Although Dr. Tatum is an expert on race relations and racial identity, she writes in a manner that is easy for non-specialists to understand.

Our library has invited Dr. Tatum to come and speak to the Lynchburg community next March, and I look forward to meeting her in person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?".

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen I want to borrow this from you. Living in Norfolk has been eye-opening after living in full-of-white-hippie-types Charlottesville, and I want to read more about race relations and American culture.