Julia Boechat Machado's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

All my reviews are currently in Library Thing. I'm no longer updating my GR since it was bought by Amazon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.

Quotes Julia Liked

William Faulkner
“When the shadow of the sash appeared on the curtains it was between seven and eight o' clock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire; it's rather excruciating-ly apt that you will use it to gain the reducto absurdum of all human experience which can fit your individual needs no better than it fitted his or his father's. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”

William Faulkner
“Clocks slay time... time is dead as long as it is being clicked off by little wheels; only when the clock stops does time come to life.”

William Faulkner
“A man is the sum of his misfortunes. One day you'd think misfortune would get tired but then time is your misfortune”

William Faulkner
“It's not when you realise that nothing can help you - religion, pride, anything - it's when you realise that you don't need any aid.”
tags: help

William Faulkner
“And I will look down and see my murmuring bones and the deep water like wind, like a roof of wind, and after a long time they cannot distinguish even bones upon the lonely and inviolate sand.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Caddy Compson Esse é meu livro preferido. Odeio quando as pessoas falam mal do início, eu também o achei fascinante.

Julia Boechat Machado As pessoas querem entender tudo imediatamente, na primeira linha, sem ter trabalho.

Caddy Compson Exatamente. Só que Faulkner é trabalhoso. Não adianta ler com preguiça só pra dizer que leu.

Julia Boechat Machado E fazendo isso as pessoas perdem o prazer que é ler Faulkner.
Acho que ele não escreveu para as pessoas que vêem a literatura como um hobby.