Julia Boechat Machado's Reviews > Os Irmãos Karamázov

Os Irmãos Karamázov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

All my reviews are currently in Library Thing. I'm no longer updating my GR since it was bought by Amazon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Os Irmãos Karamázov.

Quotes Julia Liked

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Nothing has ever been more insupportable for a man and a human society than freedom.
–The Grand Inquisitor”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“It’s not God that I don’t accept, Alyosha, only I most respectfully return him the ticket.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Is there in the whole world a being who would have the right to forgive and could forgive? I don't want harmony. From love for humanity I don't want it. I would rather be left with the unavenged suffering. I would rather remain with my unavenged suffering and unsatisfied indignation, even if I were wrong. Besides, too high a price is asked for harmony; it's beyond our means to pay so much to enter on it. And so I hasten to give back my entrance ticket, and if I am an honest man I am bound to give it back as soon as possible. And that I am doing. It's not God that I don't accept, Alyosha, only I most respectfully return him the ticket.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“The awful thing is that beauty is mysterious as well as terrible. God and the devil are fighting there and the battlefield is the heart of man.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I punish myself for my whole life, my whole life I punish.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Imagine that you are creating a fabric of human destiny with the object of making men happy in the end, giving them peace and rest at last. Imagine that you are doing this but that it is essential and inevitable to torture to death only one tiny creature...in order to found that edifice on its unavenged tears. Would you consent to be the architect on those conditions? Tell me. Tell the truth.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“Do you know I've been sitting here thinking to myself: that if I didn't believe in life, if I lost faith in the woman I love, lost faith in the order of things, were convinced in fact that everything is a disorderly, damnable, and perhaps devil-ridden chaos, if I were struck by every horror of man's disillusionment -- still I should want to live. Having once tasted of the cup, I would not turn away from it till I had drained it! At thirty though, I shall be sure to leave the cup even if I've not emptied it, and turn away -- where I don't know. But till I am thirty I know that my youth will triumph over everything -- every disillusionment, every disgust with life. I've asked myself many times whether there is in the world any despair that could overcome this frantic thirst for life. And I've come to the conclusion that there isn't, that is until I am thirty.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“I love mankind, he said, "but I find to my amazement that the more I love mankind as a whole, the less I love man in particular.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky
“And so in that very shame I suddenly begin a hymn.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Caddy Compson Freud disse que esse livro antecipou a psicologia, e Nietzsche disse que Dostoiévski foi o único psicólogo com quem ele aprendeu algo.

Julia Boechat Machado Concordo com Nietzsche, não gosto do curandeiro de Viena.

Julia Boechat Machado Eu achei que parecia outro livro. Em qual tradução você leu?

Julia Boechat Machado É normal levar um tempão para ler esse livro, mesmo conhecendo a língua.