Sara ♥'s Reviews > I am the Messenger

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

Jan 31, 14

bookshelves: 2009, audiobook, mystery, challenge-spring-2009, book-group, wishlist, 2014, australia, new-adult
Read from January 28 to 31, 2014, read count: 2

January 28-31, 2014

It's been a long time since I read this book!! I didn't even remember how it ended!! It's amazing what my brain retains and what it doesn't! It really is a great book though. It even has a moral! Everyone can do something to help others, no matter how pathetic your circumstances may be... I really love Ed Kennedy... I'm so proud of him for all the growth he manages through the story! :) Definitely worth reading!

July 26-27, 2009

It's only been 2 1/2 months since I read this book? WOW, my memory needs HELP! Anyway, I really liked it the second time through. During this reading, I noticed how much swearing there was. I didn't remember that from before.

I think the thing I liked most was seeing Ed grow from a pathetic card-playing, under-aged cab driver who sucks at sex to what he turns into by the end. Gives me hope for myself, I think. I can't tell you how much I identified with Ritchie on this reading... Sad, but true... :P

May 7, 2009

This book was really really good. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. 4.5 stars, I think. I've definitely never read anything like it, but it was great.

So, it's about this guy who gets a playing card delivered to his house. The ace of diamonds. And it's got three addresses on it. So he goes to each house and has to do something for the person/people who live there... And it continues for the aces of clubs, spades, and hearts. That description... was really sucky. It was really awesome though.

There's a lot of mystery, quite a bit of action, a lot of feel-good stuff, a bit-o-romance... from a guy's perspective. I've never been inside a boy's head, but I felt like the way Zusak wrote Ed's thoughts (about attraction to girls, kissing, sex, etc.) could REALLY be accurate. Very, very honest and refreshing... (Ed is NOT a macho man at all!) ;)

Anyway, great read. Loved the narrator for the audiobook. Oh, I don't want to forget that part. AUSSIE ACCENT. *SMOKIN'!*
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am the Messenger.

05/04 page 1
11.11% "So, this book is FREAKING HILARIOUS so far! The whole "I'm bad at sex" thing... I about died laughing... :)"
05/05 page 2
22.22% "Ed is hilarious! I'm getting a HUGE kick out of this book!!"
05/05 page 3
33.33% "Psych. I'm actually on Disc 3 of 7. He's finished the Ace of Diamonds now... on to the Ace of Clubs! He just picked it up..."
05/06 page 4
44.44% "Just finished the Ace of Clubs... Poor Ed keeps getting beaten to a bloody pulp.... :| I like him a lot."
05/06 page 5
55.56% "Spades now... I'm surprised it wasn't hearts... But I think I might know why hearts is last...."
05/06 page 6
66.67% "Barely started Disc 6... He just got the Ace of Hhearts... EEEK!! How will it end???"
05/07 page 6
66.67% "He's just figured out who the three people for the Ace of Hearts are. I called it! ;) Now what will he have to do??..."
07/21 page 2
22.22% "Reading (listening) to this one again for book club. Forgot how much language there was... but great story! Love the Aussie accent!!"
07/22 page 3
33.33% "Done with diamonds. That was the roughest card, I think. Go Ed!! You can do it! I believe in you!!"
07/25 page 6
66.67% "He's just finishing up Ace #3. I still think the 1st Ace was the worst. The 4th is the hardest, though... for other reasons..."
01/28 marked as: currently-reading