Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)'s Reviews > Born of Fire

Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Review Disclaimer: Danielle is not actually insane. She is fully aware that Syn is not a real person. (What a shame!)

Syn, would you please marry me? I would hold you to my breast, and soothe you. I would wipe away the tears you will not allow yourself to cry, that is after I kick your ex-wife's butt all the way to the next galaxy for being such a piece of work not to realize what the precious jewel she had in you. I would kiss you every day, and make sure you understood just how much I adore you. I could care less that your father was a psycho and the worst person in all the nine worlds. Each person is accountable for his own actions. And your actions fully show what a wonderful man you are. Can you please tell your friend Nyk, that I am sorry? Our love affair is over, because you have stolen my heart away from him. He has Kiara, and I'm sure he will get over me, now that I have found you. I know that Shahara is your dearest love, but she cannot possibly love you like I do. There is no way!

Okay, the madness is over, I think. Now I can talk about how much I loved this book, and how Syn has changed my life.

I cannot believe that the stupid publishers did not want to publish this book. Were they insane? Clearly. This was a fantastic story. I thought I loved Born of Night, and I still do, but ah, Syn's story, I love even more.

Syn is one of the most awesome heroes ever written. Okay, you might dispute that, but this is my review, so if you are reading it, I attest this to be my truth. He is so tortured. I cannot believe what this poor man suffered. I wanted to slap every person who ever hurt him. I definitely wanted to go buy a pair of boots (since I don't own any except for work galoshes) and kick his ex-wife's butt so far out of the known galaxies that it would require a search party to find it. How can you hold a man's parentage against him? A man is judged for who he is individually, and Syn never let me down. I could see why he had the shell around his heart, so many times was it broken. And what he suffered, as a boy. Imagine putting a young boy through that. Hard to even conceive of. It's incredible what he accomplished, and that alone showed that he was far beyond what his father and mother were. I just wanted Syn to be happy. I wanted to love him to pieces as I read this story. I still do. There is so much I love about Syn!

Okay, Shahara. I did have a couple of moments that I wanted to slap the taste out of your mouth. But only a couple. You turned out to be a good heroine, although you had me frothing at the mouth initially. But, I could see your issues after what you suffered. You are definitely Ms. Kenyon's most tortured heroine. And, I must admit, you proved yourself to be a worthy match for Syn. The way you made his heart feel to know that someone really loved him....I'll tolerate you just for that. But, it was also pretty cool how you went to bat for Syn, more than once, in this story. And, you are a badass. I do love badass heroines. (pardon my French). You know how to take care of yourself and your man. And, you're a pretty good sister, too. I wish you well with my man Syn, since he's not real, and I can't be with him in real life. You better take very good care of him, because I'm watching you, very closely!

I predict I will have a new addiction, books set in space and on other worlds. If you know of some good ones, please recommend them. Only, they must have fantastic heroes to die for, buttkicking action, lots of angst, and wisecracking galore to make up for the moments that break your heart. I don't know if too many books will meet the high standard that this story has set for me. It's too scary to contemplate. Did I tell you how much I love Syn? There are no words Thumbs way up for this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born of Fire.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“No good deed goes unpunished- Syn”
Sherrilyn Kenyon, Born of Fire

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) This is going to be good. I'm already in love with Syn. :)

message 2: by DarienMoya (new)

DarienMoya Well thats a sexy name.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Yes, it is. I may love him as much as I loved Nyk. Which is a lot!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I really love this one, it is my fave in the trilogy, with Born of Night being a close second of course. The third one is very different though, not quite as dark I found, but still good nonetheless

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, me too, Suzanne. I adore Syn! He has topped Nyk and is going on my favorite heroes list. I think SK has outdone herself with these books!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yep I agree, I actually prefer them to her DH series to be honest. I am hoping she does some more of them and start a new series, but she is doing the Chronicles of Nick stuff I think

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I like what she does with the space/futuristic setting. Lots of action.

♦Jennifer♦ Ohh, I'm glad you liked this. It's my favorite of the three. Syn is definitely a sexy beast, and I really liked Shahara. =3

Vanessa theJeepDiva I have had these 3 books on my to be read pile waiting to find the 4th (short story) to begin reading them. I may have to just order the anthology online & get started on them soon.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) You shoule definately start reading them soon, they are really good. There is an anthology!? What is it called?

Vanessa theJeepDiva The story is in 1 of 2 different books. For what I understand it is the characters from the 1st book son?
Man of My Dreams (includes  The League, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
or
In Other Worlds by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Vanessa, I loved Adron's story. I will definitely buy this copy, too!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol there was a lot of asskicking going on in your review Danielle, but I totally agree it is an amazing book.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks, Suzanne. What can I say? I didn't like how people treated MY Syn. :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol YOUR Syn ay? We will see about that : P Are you going to read Born of Ice next?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Fabulous review, Danielle. I'm convinced - I'll give this series a shot.

Rossy Fantastic review, Danielle!

message 18: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Oh great review D! I am glad to hear this one is as good as the first one! I need to get to this one!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Yes, he's all mine, Suzanne! :) I will probably read some other books in between. I like to mix things up.

Thanks, Dhestiny. You should read this series!

Thanks, Rossy and Melissa.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ I just finished this one today, I will fight you for Syn, I loved him!! Great read!! I forget this series is set in space. I did not want to read it at first. I am on to the third book!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ok, I guess this will have to be next up for me. Gosh, I hate sci-fi. I hope I can do it.

Is book 1 as amazing?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I loved book one. Nyk was mine first. But I've relinquished him for Syn.

Lynn, I will throw down with you for Syn, although normally I don't fight over men. :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Is this like The Host sci-fi or like... aliens with ray guns and spaceships sci-fi?

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* LOL! Love the review, Danielle! I'm all of a sudden overcome by the compelling urge to get to know Syn! Though don't hate me if I fall in love with him too. ^_^

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) It's blasters, spaceships, humanoid, and nonhumanoid aliens, and different planets. But there are some things that feel like everyday modern. It's mild sci-fi. I haven't read The Host, so I can't comment. Did you watch Serenity or Firefly? It kind of reminds me of those.

Thanks, Lady Jayne. I hope you do fall for Syn. He needs all the love he can get!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... No, I didn't watch those, but I'm going to give this a try.

I think you'd love the Host, Danielle. It was so good. I liked it better than Twilight.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I like watching sci-fi, so I don't think I'd mind the setting.

I second Dhestiny's reco for The Host. It started off a bit slow for me but I ended up loving it and falling in love with Ian. He's so special.

Vanessa theJeepDiva Oooohhhh, I loved Serenity & Firefly. I definately know what I am reading next!

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... (last edited May 22, 2010 09:22PM) (new) - added it

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, Ian. Yes!!! What a great, great story that was.

And yes, a bit slow, but only in the beginning. There was quite a bit of geographic description during a journey scene, but wow, once Wanda got to where she was going... wow. Great story.

*sigh* Time for a re-read.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Yes, it got much better once she got to where she was going. ^_^ And Ian...oh, Ian.... *deep sigh*

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Did you sob at the end??? I did. I totally broke down. I was like.... no, it can't be!!!!

But really, ultimately, it was such a beautiful ending.

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited May 22, 2010 10:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Well, I may end up reading The Host soon. I'm in a sci-fi mood lately.

Oh, Serenity and Firefly are awesome! Do you have Netflix? You can watch them on instant download if you do, Dhestiny.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I was totally crying at the ending, Dhestiny. And yes, beautiful ending. Ian says the most beautiful things. *more sighing*

message 34: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited May 22, 2010 09:53PM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Well, if you're in sci-fi mode then this may be the time to read The Host, Danielle! But just be warned that it starts off a bit slow but is really a great read once you get into it.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I do have Netflix. Is Serenity and Firefly a movie or a series?

Danielle, The Host is called "Science Fiction for people who don't like Science Fiction" and it really is. I mean people wo DO like Sci-Fi love it, and so do those who don't. Meyer did a great job balancing the techie with the non techie parts.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, that's great news, Dhestiny. I love the lower tech (soft) sci-fi. I'm not too into really hard science fiction, unless it has a lot of adventure and character development.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... There's very little heavy tech stuff, if any. Honestly, this is one of the best books I've read. I can't wait for the sequels, if she ever gets around to writing them.

I think the beginning is very interesting, but there's a point where Wanderer/Wanda is traveling across the desert and she's alone - mostly - and so there's little real dialog for awhile. This is what caused me to put the book down and seriously, I didn't know if I would finish it. My daughter insisted that I pick it back up and as it turned out, I had stopped just pages before it got really good and stayed that way through the rest of the book.

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited May 23, 2010 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) It's hard with some books, when you hit that point. I've been known to put a book down when it gets dry and read something else. I go back to it, and usually finish it, that time.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Yes, I agree. I was so happy I picked it back up. In my opinion, The Host is a far superior story than the Twilight books. It's an adult novel, written for adults, but not heavy on the sex. There are a couple of scenes, but nothing as descriptive as say... the BDB.

It's a beautiful story. I can't wait to hear what you think about it, when you finally get to read it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I loved Twilight, so that's good to hear that the Host is even better.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Oh, BTW. Firefly is the series, and Serenity is the movie based on the series. Watch Firefly the series first.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ok, great, thanks! I'll add it to my Instant Queue.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Oh yeah Firefly is really good, I think the pilot episode can be a bit slow, but once you are past that it is amazing.

I started reading The Host, but I didn't like it that much and still haven't finished it, maybe I will give it another go

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I hope you do, Suzanne, because it's a worthwhile read. It would make a fabulous book series or TV show.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I was so mad when they canceled Firefly. I'm still mad.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Me too, IMO it is Joss Whedons best work, better then both Buffy and Angel. I was really glad when they announced a film, but it isnt the same : (

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Agreed. Although I was watching season 5 of Angel last week, and I was reminded of how much I loved that show. The addiction came rushing back.

Cindy Loved the review!

valee OMG Danielle, your review was amazing, you got me lmao so much! I'm still laughing,lol.

« previous 1