Al Swanson's Reviews > Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software

Dreaming in Code by Scott Rosenberg

M_50x66
Mar 30, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, tech
Read in December, 2008

For any programmer, especially any programmer who has worked in a large team, this will ring true. For managers of programmers, even more so!

The story, still ongoing, of a programming team attempting to write an 'ultimate' piece of software. Not like some sci-fi book, tho. Not some software to control the world or be the next killer app - just scheduling, notes, tasks... something 'simple'.

As the book points out, even with no constraints from others, building software from scratch is a daunting task - and I know. With my team, I created a whole new class of software for my company. No one oversaw or dictated the need for us. We saw the need, we designed the solution and we delivered the software. It soon became absolutely essential to the running of the business.

For me, there were many parallels to my experiences in this story. The writing is true, crisp, funny and delves deeply into things outside the story itself.

Another book well worth the time spent reading it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming in Code.