Jennifer Braxton's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Dec 30, 09

Read in December, 2008 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book wasn't at all what I thought it was. All these years, I thought it would be this trippy, completely balmy story, that people read while they were stoned. Turns out, it's just an average book, with a little bit of nonsense thrown in. I really enjoyed the Jabberwocky poem. The rest of the book was just an average children's story. In fact, it was rather a push to get through, which is unusual to me. No matter - it's still a rather referenced piece of literature.

The fact, though, that Wikipedia had this to say about it, made me laugh out loud, literally:
"The poem is sometimes used in primary schools to teach students about the use of portmanteau and nonsense words in poetry, as well as use of nouns and verbs."
Haha, not in primary schools in the States!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.

Lynecia I'm going through this now, I'm forcing it down. I think I would have appreciated it if I was ten years younger.

Jennifer Eller I'm an English teacher in Maryland and the poem, and indeed the book, are staples in my classroom. You say it reads like atypical children's story but you are only half right. It is typical of today's children's stories but quite atypical in its time because it was written with moral and message. L.C. Was a literary revolutionary. He dared suggest children were playful and imaginative. If there is a moral to the story it is to adults that children are not miniature adults and that only the best of adults are over-grown children. That is why the book is a classic.

Jennifer Eller Sorry, that should read written without a moral and message.

message 4: by Tez (new) - added it

Tez Woods you need to read the original unedited form then.

Crizzle I taught a lesson using the Jabberwocky poem with 4th graders. It was so fun! (And yes, here in the States!)

Jennifer Braxton Jennifer, I appreciate knowing that you actually use it in your classroom. I grew up in a very small, very ignorant town here in Alabama (I think small-mindedness and bigotry are actual classes they teach), yet I was raised by a well-rounded family from the North (where almost all of my "culturing" comes from), so my life and thoughts have never seemed to mesh well with the people down here. The only time I'd ever seen anything to do with Alice was the animated Disney movie when I was young, and then the tv movie with Natalie Gregory (mid-80's)...which actually included Jabberwocky as a much bigger part of the story.

My point is, there are places out there that don't understand the importance of literature in helping a child develop a broader sense of being. I'm not saying everywhere in the states is like this. But, in the small town in which I grew up, I'd never laid hands on this book. I feel like I've been failed by my own teachers, as it was their job to expose me to and help me instill a real sense of appreciation for this story and the meanings behind it.

I'm with Lynecia, though - I wish I would have had this about a decade or two ago. I really think I would have devoured it. I seemed to be somewhat less appreciative of it this late in my life, which is unfortunate. I would never deter anyone from reading it, though. This was my own 31-year-old opinion, having never read it earlier on.

David To not notice the genius of the Alice books is more odd than the characters in the books. Something for the stoned would obviously be of little value whereas the tang of Carroll's genius is stronger than celery and more individual in flavour. Clearly the real world is far more peculiar than Wonderland.

Kendra as i believe Wavy Gravy said: if you don't get it, its just not funny. ;~)

Jennifer Braxton Well, I still side with Lynecia. I think I would have appreciated it more if I were ten or twenty years younger.