Starfish's Reviews > Dying for Dinner

Jun 28, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Read in March, 2009

Part of a series that combines cooking and death! Two great tastes that go great together.

This was light, enjoyable fluff, but I felt cheated by the fact that the mystery aspect led to a guy that we'd never even heard of -- lots of people we'd never heard of. I guess it feels like cheating when the solution is something that is entirely out of the reader's ability to predict -- Chandler's a bit that way, but at least with Chandler you get given the likely suspects introduced to you and you can guess who is playing tricks.

There was almost as much romance and relationship analysis as there was cooking/Annie's daily life and the mystery, which I enjoyed. It had recipes at the end. Parts of it didn't add up to me, such as Tyler and the police in general. On the one hand, it's sort of nice to know that you can relax a bit and that maybe I don't need to agonise as much as I am over my fic. On the other hand, well, I can see how it adds up to a book that is nothing more than a few hours light entertainment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying for Dinner.