Asma's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Jan 18, 13

bookshelves: 52-books-2013, hate-cover-art
Read from January 16 to 18, 2013

This is Harry Potter for grownups. I'm NOT saying Harry Potter is in anyway childish or immature. But The Magicians is definitely not for kids. The book is kind of a cross between Harry Potter (not specifically, any book about schools for magic, if you know any) and unmistakably, The Chronicles of Narnia. Their magical world is -relatively speaking- plausible, something I appreciate. There are no plot holes in their magic or the storyline overall. I have no reservations over any part of the book whatsoever. Sure, Quentin wasn't the most charming protagonist I've met. So what? He certainly had an interesting company. His attitude was so played out and I got tired of hearing how depressed or unsatisfied he was with life despite all of what happened. But I didn't hate him, no. I appreciated his soldiering on and cheered him on when he did. The writer somehow managed to cram all those years in one book. In Harry Potter it was, more or less, one book per year. That's how I kept track of his age actually. This one had all of his educational years at Brakebills plus the adventure that followed and all of that standby time in between! I was mortified to see them graduate halfway through. What was left for them to do?! There was no long-standing villain that reassured me that the fun wouldn't stop. I l enjoyed their time at Brakebills. The fourth year specially was fun. And that horrifying idleness that ensued and their depressed attitudes was quite a bore. But I was relieved to see them embark upon such an un called for -uncalled for, certainly, and out of the blue but very much appreciated- quest. All those crazy plot twists were definitely pleasing and unforeseeable that still made sense. (view spoiler)

So for the doubtful out there, be assured. You will not be disappointed. Your "grownup" wishes shall be met. And for the diehard Potterheads (counting me) It's not Hogwarts but it's very much worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.

01/16/2013 page 165
41.0% "This is incredibly good! Bakerbells is no Hogwarts but it'll definitely do!"