First Second Books's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jan 16, 2013

bookshelves: colleen

Spent the first half saying "I don't know why this is so popular" and the second half yelling "THIS IS SO GOOD! I NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW! WHY ISN'T SOMEONE RIGHT NEXT TO ME READING IT SO I CAN TALK ABOUT IT." One of the oddest and best endings. I finally understand why it's so popular.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

05/09 marked as: read

Marilyn I totally agree!

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Completely disagree! I loved the first 1/2 - 2/3rds, thought the plotting was great, loved seeing all the threads of Amy's net, loved visiting a couple of characters twice with different lenses on, haaaated everything after (um, spoiler) she decided to return. I thought it all seemed out of character and soap opera-y. Hated, hated the conclusion, though some of that was on a purely emotional level. Sure, bring a baby into your psychotic world, that'll make it better! (I've loved talking with people about it, though!)

Drew I had mixed feelings about the ending. At first I hated it but then I liked that Flynn didn't cop out and have Nick murder her. It really reminded me of the end of Rosemary's Baby, though. If you can stick around to help raise the spawn of the devil, why not Amy's spawn?

Ariana Laura wrote: "Completely disagree! I loved the first 1/2 - 2/3rds, thought the plotting was great, loved seeing all the threads of Amy's net, loved visiting a couple of characters twice with different lenses on,..."

Agree!! I liked the first third, and found the last two-thirds UTTERLY depressing and awful.

Caroline The ending is brilliant for the circumstances the characters find themselves in. The story simply couldn't have ended any other way. These two truly were trapped. (view spoiler)