Rebecca's Reviews > A Lion Among Men

A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire

Mar 29, 09

Read in February, 2009

I'll start this out simple; Maguire has yet to equal the writing he exhibited in Wicked. This being said, A Lion Among Men was a much stronger novel than Son of a Witch.

I don't get the sense that Maguire's writing abilities have improved since Wicked was published. Fortunately, he created a truly brilliant character back then in the form of Yackle. It is Yackle's presence that gives this novel much of its metaphysical spark and devious humor. She develops a rapport with the lion that is entertaining, biting (no pun intended) and ultimately tender.

The chance for more information about Elphaba (a literary character with a following that could fill any Comic-Con panel discussion) doesn't hurt the novel either. I know the promise of this kept me reading when I got frustrated or board (which did happen throughout Brrr's wondering years).

I admire that Maguire takes on the challenge of writing a novel from the POV of a character whose life isn't the most exciting nor whose personality is the most inviting. But he was far more successful in doing so with Wicked than its follow-ups.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lion Among Men.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shaya Well said. I totally agree with all of it.