Mindy's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Sep 14, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction
Read in September, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Though they both get four stars, I liked this book a little better than the first. I liked seeing Opal and Kade together more and watching that relationship develop and deepen. Before it just seemed a little too convenient, and I wasn't totally sold on Kade for Opal. Or anyone really. She just seemed so lost in herself that maybe she shouldn't try to be in a relationship.

My one minor gripe, was the story line reminders peppered in throughout Opal's narrative. It always seemed to happen as Opal reflecting to herself, or reminding herself of events or minor details about other characters. Such as reminding herself about where Leif and Yelena came from, what happened in the last book, and the Study series. This was my issue with Fire Study as well. Even though I understand the need for reminders in sequels, especially for those readers who don't remember everything from the first book(s), as a reader who tends toward the remembering or re-reads the previous book, it kinda grates on me. I find myself skimming over those passages where something is re-explained from a previous book.

I'm hoping that since Opal is now immune to magic and for all other purposes non-magical she'll spend some time in Ixia. I miss the Ixia people and I feel like I want to see some more about that land. Perhaps now that Kade has been invited there, Opal can go with and we'll some interesting adventure there. Because if you think about it, the last two Study books, and these two glass books the majority of the story takes place in Sitia.

I'm also really curious to see what happens with that boy Quinn who seems to have some kind of glass magic abilities. He and Heli might make a good match since they both collect beach objects.

I'd like to see more Devlen too. I know, I know, he tortured and he was bad. But I kind of like him despite it all.

All and all, I liked this book. I found myself more connected with Opal in this book. But oddly less connected with Janco without Ari. It almost seems like they are one whole character and are more interesting together than they are separate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan What's this one about Min?

Mindy This is the sequel to Storm Glass out this fall