Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone's Favorite Treats

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Nov 05, 09

bookshelves: cookbook, vegan, vegetarian, gr-a, non-fiction, reviewed
Recommended for: cookie fanatics, anyone who likes making cookies to give as gifts or to bring for groups
Read in November, 2009

I was so excited to see a recipe for graham crackers (to go with my chocolate candy and vegan marshmallows for s’mores) because they’re hard to find vegan; they all seem to have honey. But there’s no graham flour in them so it doesn’t look as though they’d have that distinctive graham cracker flavor. I’m so disappointed that I came very close to deducting a star from my rating. I guess I could experiment using graham flour and using the recipe given as a start.

Otherwise, this is an excellent cookie cookbook, even though I’m trying to eat healthier so reading this particular book now was probably not my wisest move, especially since the cookies that appeal most to me are some of the most decadent ones: Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows, NYC Black & White Cookies, and Deluxe Cocoa Brownies. Actually, there are too many for me to list. You’ll also find a version of rice krispy treats and fig bars ala Fig Newtons. The Frosted Grapefruit Icebox Cookies look particularly interesting to me.

Over eighty recipes for all types of cookies, all vegan, are in this book. They’re divided into sections: Drop Cookies, Wholesome Cookies, Bar Cookies, Fancy Cookies, and Sliced and Rolled Cookies. I’d say that at least ¾ of the recipes have an accompanying mouthwatering photograph of the finished product.

I appreciate that before the section with the recipes, some extremely helpful basic cookie making tips are given.

ETA 3 months later: I just can't get past the no graham flour in the graham crackers, especially since it's almost impossible to find these vegan commercially because they always add honey. So, demoted from 5 to 4 stars.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.

11/02/2009 page 1
0.39% "Just glanced through and I'm disappointed that there isn't a photo of every cookie on each cookie's page, but her recipes are great so far."

message 1: by Lee (new)

Lee Are you going to try a few recipes or just read it? Are there photos?

Lisa Vegan Lee, I haven't read it yet. I might make a batch or two, but first I'm going to read it. There are a few photos but for this one I was hoping it would be more like the cupcake book and have photos of each kind of cookie on the page(s) with the recipes.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee Darn! I hate when they don't include photos!

Lisa Vegan Lee, I have to check more carefully, but there seem to be more photos than I first thought, and they're at/near the recipes. I'm just not sure if all the cookie types have photos though.

Lisa Vegan Lee, I've gone through every page, although I haven't read everything yet. It looks as though about 3/4 of the cookies, or close to that number, do have photos. And it's looks as though there are quite a few great recipes in the book.

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee Okay, that's not bad. Much better than when they just put a few colour plates in the centre. Thanks Lisa!

message 7: by Ginny (new) - added it

Ginny Messina Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows?? And Black and White Cookies (ala Seinfeld)? I guess I need to buy this book.

Lisa Vegan Yes. Yum! I guess it's especially good timing for cookie bakers who make batches of cookies for the holidays. There are some very unusual recipes in the book and also some classic favorites. It's a good book. I just wish the graham crackers were "real" because I've never found any that are vegan and there's no reason they can't be vegan.

Lisa Vegan Abigail, It's pretty easy to find store bought fig newton type cookies that are vegan but the homemade ones probably taste better. The photo sure is enticing. Rice Krispy treats need vegan marshmallows and Earth Balance spread instead of butter, but they're pretty easy to make vegan too, although vegan marshmallows can't be found in just any store.

Jayme I know these posts are old...but I bet you could just sub some graham flour for some or all of the whole wheat flour. The recipe looks pretty simple. I think I'm going to try it soon. It's almost camping season!

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Jayme wrote: "I know these posts are old...but I bet you could just sub some graham flour for some or all of the whole wheat flour. The recipe looks pretty simple. I think I'm going to try it soon. It's almost c..."

Jayme, Oh, I agree. I'm sure it would work, but I still object to it not being a main ingredient in the recipe as it is published. For that matter, many cookie recipes could be more like graham crackers if graham flour was added, but why call them graham crackers unless it's included. Sorry, I just can't get past it, especially since these cookbook authors are both normally so awesome!

Jayme Lol! That's awesome that you're making a stand for graham crackers everywhere.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Jayme wrote: "Lol! That's awesome that you're making a stand for graham crackers everywhere."

Yes, fanatically so.