Sarah's Reviews > Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01

Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01 by Tachibana Higuchi

Mar 28, 09

Read in March, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This book is about a school especially made for kids with special powers. The down side of the school is that the kids are unable to be in touch with the outside world, even their families.
The main character is Mikan Sakura who is a unrefined little girl who follows her best friend, Hotaru, to Alice Academy.
Mikan learns that "Alice" means special ability and that Hotaru has the ability of invention. A teacher at Alice Academy believes the Mikan also has an ability, but isn't sure what it is. We later find out that she has the ability of nullification, where other kids can't use their abilities against her. There is another character names Natsume who has the ability of fire. He's considered a trouble maker and has a very powerful ability.

The series is similar to Harry Potter - slightly. Some of the ideas are funny and I found myself laughing out loud a couple times (outrageous Japanese manga tends to do that). It's more like a kids manga, but I enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gakuen Alice, Vol. 01.