Stan's Reviews > The Vintner's Luck

The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox

M 50x66
Mar 29, 09

Read in December, 2008

Recommended to me by David L.

I found this to be a beautiful story of friendship and love, and how we humans tend to complicate it. It is about (obviously) a vintner and his friendship with a fallen angel (not so obviously). While this motif could very well be in the realm of sci-fi/fantasy, Knox turns it into a curious love story.

An element that I really enjoyed were the chapter titles, each one a wine terminology. I wished I were more versed in the wine culture to truly appreciate this touch, but I had a lot of fun trying to work it out for myself. And, for me, it wasn’t distracting at all to contemplate how the wine terminology referenced what was currently happening in the story.

I thought the characters intriguing and likeable, despite all their flaws. The story moves languidly at first, but as the relationships develop, the pace picks up quite nicely.

There was one plot thread that didn’t work sit quite so well with me as I found it strays too far from the focus on interpersonal relationships. But, in the end, the thread does tie back to the main plot. I’m still not sure if I liked the denouement as I thought it pulled me out of the time and place of the central storyline, but that just might be a matter of taste.

Well worth reading on quiet afternoons and evenings with a glass of wine in hand
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vintner's Luck.