Breann Thompson's Reviews > Lost in a Good Book

Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

Mar 28, 09

Read in March, 2009

I dove into this book without having read its predecessor and, although there were times I found myself mildly confused, it's not impossible to do.

The plot is well developed and builds itself upon the intriguing idea (logically presented in the first book) that the characters of the world's written works (both beloved and loathed) lead lives within and betwen their bound homes in "The Great Library." Our protagonist, Thursday Next, works for a branch of the government devoted to the protection of great works of literature. Having previously founded herself literally absorbed into works of fiction, Thursday is much sought after for her potential as a weapon of sorts for use by more nefarious characters. We see Thursday through distressing happenings in her daily life (possible only in her unique world) and into her attempts to regain the life that is taken from her.

Fforde sprinkles liberal amounts of wit and sarcasm throughout his prose, without becoming tedious- quite a feat in itself! Also included are numerous literary allusions. They add little to the story and can prove distracting if you're unsure as to their origin or relation to the matter at hand.

Altogether, I enjoyed the book and find myself wanting to know what happens in the next installment. However, it's not one I feel a rabid desire to pick up and delve into repeatedly. But if you're intrigued by a mix of science fiction and the great literary plots, jump on in!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in a Good Book.