Kathryn's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Sep 11, 09

bookshelves: fiction, book-club
Read in September, 2009

Summary: David is 12 years old, in England, during World War II. Shortly before the war breaks out his mother dies from a long illness, and he is saddled with a step-mother and a new half-brother. Longing for his old life with his mother, he enters a fantasy world, looking to escape his real life, and what he finds is a journey to a king and his Book of Lost Things.

Review: I liked parts of this book and I hated others. I liked the beginning, except that the boy appeared to be descending into madness. Once he crossed into the new world, I hated the fairy tales that were inserted, merely, it seems, to adjust your perception of fairy tales in general. The fairy tales that were inserted into the story had a much better way of doing that (i.e. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, etc...). I did like what the Book of Lost Things ended up being, and I enjoyed the way that the lupes were the King's greatest fear come to life, and that they died with him. How our fears haunt us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.